Located on the south side of the Applegate River about eight miles SE of Murphy, the post office was named for the pioneer father-in-law of Mary E. Provolt, the first postmistress. The post office site moved a couple of times until in 1909, it was just a mile into Jackson County south of Kubli and west of Williams Creek at the junction of Williams Creek and Applegate Valley Roads.
Early mail came by stage coach through Grants Pass up the Applegate, later by car. When Provolt's post office was discontinued patrons were served by rural delivery from Grants Pass.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)