On August 23, 1852, David Clinton and his son-in-law, Archibald Welton each filed a donation land claim for adjoining parcels of land. The two men built a double log cabin to house their families and a barn on the property. In April 1857, they sold the land (635 acres) and structures to Michael Hanley for a combined price of $6,000. It is presumed that the Hanley family lived in the cabin until the main house was built. Donation Land Claim survey records indicate that the cabin was 33 feet south of the east-north-east corner of the claim and 330 feet west of the old barn. In 2001 a team of volunteers with professional surveying backgrounds established the presumed location of the structure across the front drive and into the “round garden” between the house and garage.