George S. Calhoun House

Site Number: 

101

Approximate date: 

1909

Two-story house with porch across facade; deep eave overhangs with exposed rafters; large single light windows; multi-light windows; mixed use of shingle and lap siding; square in plan; block foundation; central portion of house has hipped roof; corner bays with hipped roofs project on the second level of the facade; attic dormer extends from the center of the main roof with a hipped roof. Ground story siding is three inch lap siding; upper level has shingles which flare at the base of their siding pattern.

Address: 

612 N.W. 5th Street

Alterations: 

Garage at rear of property has been remodeled into board room. Fire exit and landing has been added on south elevation.

Style: 

Bungalow/Craftsman

City: 

Grants Pass
1-Primary

Sources of information: 

Atwood, National Register nomination Robert Keeney

Certainty: 

Confirmed, SOHS Inventory

On National Register of Historic Places: 

No

In Lure of Medford Inventory: 

No
Yes

Image: 

Updates: 

The Gohrke Family, who owned the residence from 1944 to 1979 were also prominent Grants Pass citizens. Mr. Edward H. Gohrke operated the Tidewater Oil Distribution Center. correction by Mr. Gohrke's granddaughter, Gretchen C. Gohrke, 6/11/2013