The SOHS Assistant Archivist will manage the SOHS Library and supervise its volunteers when the Archivist is not present. After an initial training period, working with the Archivist, the Assistant Archivist will work one or two days per week on a regular basis. This could include Saturdays, but that is not required. The Assistant Archivist will work additional days when the Archivist is unavailable.
To apply for this position, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to:
Pat Harper, firstname.lastname@example.org, or SOHS Library, 106 N. Central, Medford Oregon, 97501
Direct questions to Pat Harper, 541/773/6536 ex 201
Applications will be reviewed on April 28, 2018.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist Archivist in coordinating research and public services at the Research Library of the Southern Oregon Historical Society
2. Assist Archivist with organization and cataloging of the Library and Archives
3. Assure the safety and appropriate handling of archival materials
4. Assist Archivist with coordinating training and supervision of the work of 20-30 volunteers who keep the library running on a day to day basis and provide research services
5. Monitor projects carried out by Library volunteers that improve the organization and accessibility of the Archives
6. Provide excellent public research services, utilizing SOHS print and online resources plus other local and online sources
7. Use PastPerfect, the cataloging software used by SOHS, to research materials, input new materials and correct errors
8. Other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees or their designees
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies, Library Science or Information Science from an accredited institution. (Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus appropriate experience may be substituted)
- One or more years of professional experience working in a research library.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Management and supervisory skills
- Advanced research skills, including print and online resources
- Social skills that enable him/her to work with public, staff and volunteers
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to apply advanced computers skills, including work with Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Audacity and others
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds and climb stairs
- Cataloging experience, particularly with PastPerfect software, is preferred
BACKGROUND CHECK: The Southern Oregon Historical Society (SOHS) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its staff, volunteers and visitors. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, SOHS conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of SOHS, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
EEOC: SOHS is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. SOHS is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Oregon State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.